Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Polenta, Take 2

Have you been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the results of my polenta dinner to post? If I remember correctly, there was a homework assignment. Did anyone make a batch of polenta yet?  How did it turn out?  Here is a picture of my finished polenta dish. To the steamy polenta I added freshly grated gouda cheese, roasted butternut squash and pine nuts. I allowed the polenta mixture to set in the refrigerator for a few hours prior to baking to allow it to solidify a bit. Once in the oven it got nice and bubbly, and I sprinkled some freshly grated Locatelli on top. There really isn't such a thing as too much cheese, right? I decided to top my bowl of polenta with sauteed cremini mushrooms and fresh baby spinach. It added another layer of texture to the dish along with rich flavor.

Steaming pot of polenta, see blog on 3.29.14 for the recipe.

Roasted butternut squash.  Spread about 4 cups of peeled and cubed butternut squash on an oiled baking sheet and roast on 375 for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender.  Mash the squash a bit before adding to the polenta.
Freshly grated gouda.
Toasted pignolis (pine nuts).  Coarsely crumble these before stirring into the polenta.

The finished baked polenta.    




No comments:

Post a Comment