Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Nod to Greece

While summer produce was at its height, I was fortunate to receive some plump yellow squash from my neighbor.  Though there are many delightful ways to make squash, I was drawn to a recipe for Greek Stuffed Zucchini in my Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook.  I know the difference between zucchini and yellow squash, but hey roll with what you've got, and when it comes down to it the two are incredibly similar. The squash gets roasted in the oven with a bit of sherry to soften it up a bit.  Meanwhile an aromatic cinnamon tomato sauce is prepared to accompany the stuffed squash.  I've never made this type of tomato sauce and was a bit skeptical at first, but the fragrance and incredible taste won me over quickly.  The filling for the squash is toasted walnuts, golden raisins, brown rice, feta, onion, garlic and fresh parsley.  What a winning combination!  Hats off to the cooks at Moosewood for coming up with this delicious meal.  And now that summer has passed, I will enjoy fall and all its warm soups and pumpkin-spiced things, but part of me will be keeping track of the time and looking forward to another fresh squash harvest.
Drop me a line if you'd like more details about making this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment