Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Comfort and Warmth

One of my favorite things about fall is soup.  When the temperature starts to dip down, soup warms you from the inside.  It's such a comforting feeling.  One of my go-to favorites is lentil soup.  I love it.  As a kid I really loved it when my parents would put on a pot of lentil soup because the aroma wafted around the house.  I could not wait until dinner time so I could dig in and enjoy!

I came across a recipe for Lentil and Broccoli Soup in my cookbook, Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen. As many of you know, I am huge fan of Lidia Matticchio Bastianich.  I am always pleased with the results when I make a recipe from one of her books or TV shows.  I'm happy to report that my experience with this soup was no less wonderful.  Something unique in the recipe, cooking the peeled and diced broccoli stalks with the lentils, is such a wonderful way to use up all of the broccoli parts and add delicious flavor to the soup.  I will make that addition to lentil soup from here on out.  The broccoli florets go in nearer the end of cooking so they remain a brighter green for serving.  In addition to the recipe ingredients of lentils, potatoes and broccoli, I added shredded carrots and some diced black forest ham.  Having the delicious aroma drifting around the house made me feel cozy and warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment