Wednesday, March 13, 2013

How do you like your eggs?

Have you ever seen the movie Runaway Bride?  There's a scene in the movie when Richard Gere asks Julia Roberts how she likes her eggs.  The implication is that if she can define how she likes her eggs, she's one step closer to identifying who she is as an individual.

I've always liked my eggs fried- and fried to a dead crisp at that.  But that changed the day I came across a recipe for Bacon and Leek Risotto with Poached Egg in Bon Appétit magazine.  The recipe directed me to poach the eggs just long enough for the whites to be cooked but leaving the yolks still runny.  This egg then topped a bowl of hot risotto.  As the runny yolk seeped into the tender rice, a new level of creaminess was achieved that absolutely delighted my taste buds!

That experience prompted me to wonder what other grains may be enriched this way.  As a runner, I'm always looking for foods that will fuel my efforts without weighing me down.  So on the morning of a 10-miler, I made a pot of quinoa with some chopped tomatoes, green onion and red pepper added in, then topped my bowlful with a poached egg.  I felt supercharged!  My run that day was extraordinary.  I tested it out again the next week on the morning of a 12-miler, and I'm happy to report a second extraordinary running experience.  So now my breakfast of choice on the morning of a long run is a bowl of hot grains (often quinoa, though I've also tried others) topped with a poached egg.


And so my egg selection has been forever altered; I know I will not go back to the dead fried egg that once took center stage on my plate.  Now if only I could figure out what that says about me as an individual...


No comments:

Post a Comment