Friday, March 22, 2013

Shamrock

What a day!  The 7:00 a.m. start found thousands of runners and walkers corralled and awaiting the magic countdown that would release us into our 13.1 mile journey.  Cool temperatures paired with a persistent wind motivated us to keep on moving.  Despite the chill, volunteers and spectators were out in record numbers to encourage us along the way.  It's such an exhilarating experience to be a participant in the race- the continual shouts from the sidelines such as, "You look great!  Keep it up!  You can do it!," fuel your enthusiasm and help you dig deeper and keep going.  (Can these well-wishers please join me for all of my long runs?!)  Before I knew it the finish line was in sight and a glance at my watch revealed I could make a PR if I amped it up for the last 0.1, so I did.  At the finish were my two favorite race volunteers, my mom and sister, to offer me hugs and award me my race medal.

As if the whole race experience wasn't reward enough, my family took me out to lunch.  My favorite post-race meal is a big, fat, juicy burger.  Today's burger of choice is The Farmhouse Burger at Gordon Biersch because it's topped with...what?  If you guessed an egg, you'd be correct!  Mmmm...it was so delicious that I cleaned my plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment