Thursday, March 21, 2013

Nonna

Nonna in Italian means grandmother.  Mine was completely masterful in the kitchen.  From meager ingredients she could make a feast.  She left absolutely nothing to waste.  In recent years I've discovered a woman who is reminiscent of my grandmother in her preparation and love of food.  In watching Lidia Matticchio Bastianich on PBS and reading her thoughtful cookbook entries, a kindred spirit to my nonna is unveiled.  I'm drawn to her and am enjoying all the wonderful Italian traditions she teaches me in the kitchen.

Today's preparation is Zucchini and Potato Minestra.  It's an ideal choice for a meal on a Friday during Lent since it contains no meat; it's also an optimal choice for fueling my body with some healthy carbs before Sunday's race.  The dried porcini mushrooms create a rich flavor base for this soup teeming with potatoes, carrots, leeks, zucchini and Arborio rice.  I topped my steaming bowl with some freshly grated Locatelli cheese and delighted in every delicious bite.  I think my body will have no choice but to have a fabulous run with fuel like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment