Monday, April 22, 2013

Grain-iac

I love how super-charged my body feels when I eat whole grains.  Whole grains are reported to have many health benefits such as reduced risks of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke.  Also toss in healthier blood pressure levels and better weight maintenance.  Some current research even indicates that whole grains have a significant role in lowering the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer.  With a pedigree like that, who wouldn't be interested in adding more whole grains to their diet?

The grainy treat I helped myself to today is called Tuscan Oven Grains and Greens from epicurious.com.  My rendition of the recipe is a wonderful mix of Italian sausage, mushrooms, kale and spinach with three grains: barley, rice and whole wheat pasta.  The grains go in raw, but become soft as they bake in the oven with the other ingredients.  It's actually quite a simple one-pot meal, and I am a big fan of one-pot meals!  I especially appreciate this sort of comforting food when the evening temperatures take a dip as they have been doing recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment