Thursday, April 18, 2013

Making Changes

Changes can be very difficult.  I remember the day the doctor told me it would be wise to cut caffeine out of my diet.  It was like the world came to a screeching halt!  Me?  No, thank you.  I drink double espressos for breakfast, cappuccinos for a snack, coffee with lunch and dinner.  I might jeopardize the coffee industry if I give it up...but that is exactly what I did.  When compared to the benefits of giving it up, there was no contest.  And it was very ugly, at first.  Gradually I started to change my habits and eventually I stopped missing it altogether.  So when my Dad had a similar experience during a recent doctor's visit, I understood what it meant to be staring some difficult life changes in the face.  I'm happy to report that he is also having success putting aside old choices in favor of those which will prove more healthy in the long run.

I've been thinking about Dad's new diet (and by diet I do not mean a temporary scheme to lose weight) as I sit and plan the weekly dinner menus for my household.  I am proud of his determination and want to contribute some food items to his list so I made up a healthy version of chicken salad I think he might enjoy.  I finely minced a shallot and then added about 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt, a pinch of garlic powder, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, tarragon and parsley.  I halved some plump red grapes, sliced some celery on the diagonal, and tossed in freshly grilled chicken.  I piled the salad atop a bed of spinach and arugula and sprinkled almond slices on top.  It was refreshingly delicious!  Dad, I hope this will be a welcome addition to your new list of menu items!

No comments:

Post a Comment