Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Muffins

As I continue to research the types of foods that harmonize with my Dad's new diet, I'm learning new things that should be included in any healthy diet.  Today I read that you can simply substitute oats for one third of the flour called for in muffin, cookie and pancake recipes.  Why bother adding in oats?  For starters oats, no matter what form, help your heart by lowering LDL, the bad cholesterol.  Oats also help keep blood sugar levels stable.

I decided to test out the oat to flour ratio with my go-to muffin recipe.  It's very basic yet produces a moist, delicious muffin every time.  The beauty is how easy it is to swap out star ingredients in the muffins.  I happened to have some fresh pears on hand from the orchard of my Mom's neighbor, so I decided pear and cinnamon would be the stars this time.  I'll have to say the oat experiment turned out delicious, so my muffin recipe is now appropriately amended.

No comments:

Post a Comment