Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Power Oatmeal

I tried a new experiment for breakfast today, and I'm happy to report that it turned out delicious!!  For all you runners out there, this power oatmeal will really refuel your body after a run.  I don't know about you, but after a hard running effort I feel ravenously hungry.  I'm amazed to report how thoroughly this breakfast satiated my hunger and left me feeling energized, not unhappily full or heavy.  Okay, so how much experimentation can you really do with oatmeal, right?  Well, today I added an interesting ingredient: chia seeds.  The tiny seeds of the chia plant, Salvia hispanica, originated in South America and were a staple in the diets of the ancient Mayans and Aztecs, and with good reason.  The Aztec warriors used chia seeds as survival rations, taking a pouch of chia seeds and a vessel of water on their trips; the seeds were their food source and when taken with the water they would hydrate their bodies for endurance.

What we know about chia seeds today is that they are loaded with antioxidants, in fact the antioxidant activity in chia seeds is higher than any other whole food, even blueberries.  They are also an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.  One ounce of chia seeds (about two tablespoons) offers 139 calories, 4 grams protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber.  The high fiber content gives chia seeds an interesting property, they are hydrophilic and can absorb up to 12 times their body weight in water!  Soaking chia seeds causes a gel to form around each seed, making them useful in cooking and baking.

For the oatmeal,  I used rolled oats and chia seeds cooked in unsweetened almond milk enhanced with a bit of coconut sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  Once cooked, I added in some dried cherries and dates.  After the first bite I realized a bit of salt was needed, so I topped it off with pumpkin seeds.  It made more than one serving, so I now have something to look forward to tomorrow morning!  All in all it took about five minutes to prepare, so no excuses not to try this healthy breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment